July 26, 2015

How to Dress Like a Girl Without Really Trying

When I was about 12 or 13 years old, I decided that skirts were a hassle and I wasn't going to wear them anymore. Shorter, flowy skirts were comfortable in hot weather, but they required constant vigilance to avoid flashing people as you went about your day. Tighter skirts didn't have this problem, but they restricted your range of motion, which was even more annoying to me. And long skirts just seemed to get caught in everything -- nevermind that you had to keep one hand free in case you came across a staircase. All of this added up to "too much trouble" in my books.

So for 15 years, I just didn't wear skirts and dresses.

In fact, I eschewed all things girly, including fashion and makeup. But over the last five years, I have discovered that embracing my feminine side does not have to mean discomfort and inconvenience. Nowadays, you can have your cake and eat it too! Who knew?
Me and my favourite skort in Tsitsikamma National Park, South AfricaMe and my favorite skort,
Tsitsikamma National Park, South Africa


Looking back, I think my little epiphany began with one item of clothing: The Athleta Whatever Skort. I had never heard of Athleta, when I read this review of the Whatever Skort, but I was so intrigued that I ordered one online, fully expecting to return it when it didn't work out. But not only did it work out, it worked out a little *too* well! This skort started my (expensive) love affair with the Athleta brand!


loose, comfortable, rubber-free shortsLoose, comfortable, rubber-free shorts

What impressed me the most was just how comfortable it was. I have tried skorts in the past where the inner shorts are either too tight, ride up, or are bulky and uncomfortable. Some also have rubber on the inside of the shorts to prevent them from riding up, but are uncomfortable in hot, humid weather. The design of the inner shorts on the Whatever Skort avoids all these problems. The shorts are long enough that they don't ride up when you're active, and loose enough that it doesn't stick to your legs. And the fabric is so thin and light-weight, that you can barely feel the shorts; I often forget they're there! The flared A-line style is great because it doesn't restrict your motion and it has the added bonus of looking nice too.

Whatever Skort, Pisa Italy. Crouching and no skirt-wrangling required!Crouching and no skirt-wrangling required!

The other thing that makes this skort stand out is the fabric. I have no idea how they managed to make it so light, quick-drying, water-resistant and wrinkle-free without entering swishy hiking pants territory. The skort never feels stiff or plastic-y. It's actually pretty soft and drapes nicely. And there is enough stretch to make it comfortable when climbing over rocks or riding a bike.


This skort really proved its worth on a hike to the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town a few years ago. They were as comfortable as a pair of shorts. More so, actually, as the movement of the fabric created some airflow where there was none. The weather was ridiculously hot (33C!) so even a micro-breeze was appreciated. And after we had cooled off in a stream part way up, the skort was totally dry in 20 minutes! I was impressed.
Hike from Monterosso to Vernazza, Cinque Terre, ItalyOn the hike from Monterosso to Vernazza, Cinque Terre, Italy

There are a few minor annoyances with the design. I find the drawstring at the waistband too long and bulky when it's tied. I ended up just removing it. The skort stays up just fine without it, and if need be, I can add a belt, as there are belt-loops. I also wish there was a small, discreet, zippered pocket somewhere. Something where I can put ID and a little bit of cash. There are two welt pockets at the back, but they're kind of useless to me if they don't zip closed.

So although it falls short of "absolutely perfect", it hasn't prevented me from taking this skort just about everywhere. Over the last four years it has been on countless hikes, bike rides and camping trips.

Sadly, Athleta has discontinued this particular style. But they have a replacement, the Everyday Skort. Has anyone tried it? Is it as comfortable as the Whatever Skort? Do you like it?

And are there any other pieces of clothing that help you feel like a girl without compromising on comfort and travel-friendliness?

No comments:

Post a Comment